Warning: Declaration of Walker_Category_Div::start_lvl(&$output, $depth, $args) should be compatible with Walker::start_lvl(&$output, $depth = 0, $args = Array) in /homepages/18/d436782016/htdocs/yaxleyhistory/wp-content/plugins/assign-categories/assign_categories.php on line 53

Warning: Declaration of Walker_Category_Div::end_lvl(&$output, $depth, $args) should be compatible with Walker::end_lvl(&$output, $depth = 0, $args = Array) in /homepages/18/d436782016/htdocs/yaxleyhistory/wp-content/plugins/assign-categories/assign_categories.php on line 53

Warning: Declaration of Walker_Category_Div::start_el(&$output, $category, $depth, $args) should be compatible with Walker::start_el(&$output, $object, $depth = 0, $args = Array, $current_object_id = 0) in /homepages/18/d436782016/htdocs/yaxleyhistory/wp-content/plugins/assign-categories/assign_categories.php on line 53

Warning: Declaration of Walker_Category_Div::end_el(&$output, $category, $depth, $args) should be compatible with Walker::end_el(&$output, $object, $depth = 0, $args = Array) in /homepages/18/d436782016/htdocs/yaxleyhistory/wp-content/plugins/assign-categories/assign_categories.php on line 53
The Vicarage | Yaxley History

The Vicarage, built in 1875, was sold in 1995 and is now a private dwelling.

The following information relates to the older Vicarage and dates from 1709.

The terrier (see below for definition) of Vicarage land in 1709 was approximately 16 acres.

A close 5 acres between Yaxley and Stilton Parish.

Church wardens in 1709 were:

  • Richard Hole
  • John Child
  • John Dillingham
  • William Bowker

The vicarage house was built of timber and clay with thatch. It had three small rooms, buttery and dairy, all brick floors and 3 little chambers.

The grounds contained 3 acres . The Vicar paid £40.00 per year, paid Quarterly by the Lord of the Manor.

In 1821 under the Old Inclosure Act (see below for definition), the owner and occupier of the vicarage house and garden was the Rev Pedley. The land measured one rood and four poles (see below for conversion).

A terrier of lands belonging to the vicarage of Yaxley, in Hunts Diocese of Ely, 28th October 1841, which contained the Vicarage House, dining room, drawing foom, study, kitchen, pantry cellar and back kitchen, six bedrooms and dressing room. Secluded in a garden containing two roods and four poles, bounded by lands belonging to the Earls of Carysfort, two stall stable, coach-house and hovel, the land belonging to the Vicarage called “The Glebe Land” containing about 50 acres from Stilton to Peterborough in the occupation of Mrs Rycroft. Also six acres of land called “Wycks Close”, also occupied by Mrs Rycroft . A “Spinney Close” containing one and a half acres adjoining the Church Close , comprising of six acres In the hands of Micheal Richardson.

References:

  • A land terrier is a record system for an institution’s land and property holdings.
  • rood = 1011.71 sq m
  • pole = 25.29 sq m
  • The Inclosure or Enclosure Acts were a series of United Kingdom Acts of Parliament which enclosed open fields and common land in the country.