Farr Family

Farr Family

James Grey Farr was a chemist and grocer in Yaxley in 1910, running his store from 183 Main Street (in 2014 Sophie T’s Vintage Teashop). James Grey Farr was a descendent of Joseph Farr (1797-1888) of Long Sutton, Lincs. Joseph Farr was a cooper by trade and...
Earl of Sandwich

Earl of Sandwich

Earl of Sandwich is a 17th-century title in the Peerage of England, nominally associated with Sandwich, Kent. It was created in 1660 for the prominent naval commander Admiral Sir Edward Montagu. He was made Baron Montagu, of St Neots in the County of Huntingdon, and...
Earl of Carysfort

Earl of Carysfort

Earl of Carysfort was a title in the Peerage of Ireland. It was created in 1789 for the John Proby, 2nd Baron Carysfort. The Proby family descended from Sir Peter Proby, Lord Mayor of London in 1622. His great-great-grandson John Proby represented Huntingdonshire and...
Joseph Coles

Joseph Coles

Joseph Coles, born in 1832, was a reed merchant on Whittlesea Mere. The Coles family paid £700 per year to the Lord of the Manor for the fowling, reeding and fishing rights on the Mere. Following the drainage of the mere in 181, Joseph Coles discovered an object...
John Buckler

John Buckler

John Buckler, Snr (30 November 1770 – 6 December 1851) was a British artist and occasional architect who is best remembered for his many drawings of churches and other historic buildings, recording much that has since been altered or destroyed. Buckler’s...
Peter Dewint

Peter Dewint

Peter De Wint (21 January 1784 – 30 January 1849) was an English landscape painter. A number of his pictures are in the National Gallery, the Victoria and Albert Museum and The Collection, Lincoln. He died in London. De Wint painted several local scenes  including...
Leyland Cub FK6

Leyland Cub FK6

1936 Leyland Cub FK6 registration no. EW9795 order by the Yaxley Parish Council but now residing in the Museum of Fire at Lauriston Place in Edinburgh. Signwritten ‘Norman Cross Huntingdon’. In 1964 the engine left Yaxley and was later used in the 1969...
Olinthus Gregory

Olinthus Gregory

(Adapted by Margaret Long from an article in the October 1970 ‘Yaxley Magazine’) In the 1760′s or 1770′s there came to live in Yaxley a certain Robert Gregory, shoemaker and his wife Anne. Their children baptised in St Peter’s church were Olinthus Gilbert...
Neb Kujundzic

Neb Kujundzic

Nebojsa “Neb” Kujundzic was born in Belgrade, Yugoslavia and came to England to study Engineering at Leeds University pre war. He spoke excellent English, was a talented musician and a popular student. In 1941 he was one of first group of students to be trained at the...
Forgotten language of the Fens

Forgotten language of the Fens

A collection of largely forgotten words and meanings that would have been in common use in the late 19th century in Yaxley: Beavers: boots bell-ringer : the long-tailed titmouse bents : the seed-stalks of grass brink: river bank Camel: old nickname for a Fenman,...
The Yaxley Bodysnatchers

The Yaxley Bodysnatchers

In 1830, William Patrick and William Whayley, labourers of Farcet were charged with bodysnatching from Yaxley churchyard. Together they stole the recently interred body of Jane Mason. Abraham Rist, labourer of Yaxley told the court of Patrick’s attempts to get him to...
Yaxley Parish Council

Yaxley Parish Council

COUNCILLORS PAST AND PRESENT (Researched by Fran Russell and updated by Ann Rees) Councillor From – To From – To From – To John James BEETON 1894 – 1924 Joseph OLIVER 1894 – 1924 Asa BARNES 1894 – 1924 Samuel SKELLETT 1894 –...
Women’s Institute

Women’s Institute

The Yaxley branch of the Womens Institute was formed in 1918. A meeting took place in April of that year at the Grange on Main Street. a building which stood on the site that is now occupied by the present building of the same name. A number of ladies were present...
Welcome Club

Welcome Club

The Welcome Club was started by the Stretton family, when in approximately 1949, the late Mr. Harry Stretton bought a nonconformist chapel in the West end of the Main Street. The building was known to many residents as the Stretton Hall. The building staged many...
Ancient Order of Foresters

Ancient Order of Foresters

The Ancient Order of Foresters is a friendly society which was formed in 1834. By the mid 18th century, friendly societies could be found throughout England. At the beginning of the 19th century, they were a common-place, as locally based organisations, within...
Yaxley Fire Station

Yaxley Fire Station

  Yaxley fire station was built in 1878. The modern part of the station was built in 1965 and new drill facilities were opened in 1975.   The station is well established in village life and in community events, including the annual Santa Express tour which...
Yaxley in the 1950s

Yaxley in the 1950s

By Margaret Long and the late Roy Dudley The only development in the early 50s in Yaxley was along the Broadway, Hillcrest Avenue, Middletons Lane, Chapel Street, Church Lane and Windsor Road. Yaxley consisted mainly of orchards, hedgerows and grass fields. Dundee...
Yaxley in the 1870s

Yaxley in the 1870s

A CENTURY AGO – when many Yaxley villagers depended on agriculture for their livelihood. This was in the period of transition when agricultural practice was slow to accept the corning mechanical aids, especially for harvesting. It was a time when a meagre wage...
Page 1 of 212