Warning: Declaration of Walker_Category_Div::start_lvl(&$output, $depth, $args) should be compatible with Walker::start_lvl(&$output, $depth = 0, $args = Array) in /homepages/18/d436782016/htdocs/yaxleyhistory/wp-content/plugins/assign-categories/assign_categories.php on line 53

Warning: Declaration of Walker_Category_Div::end_lvl(&$output, $depth, $args) should be compatible with Walker::end_lvl(&$output, $depth = 0, $args = Array) in /homepages/18/d436782016/htdocs/yaxleyhistory/wp-content/plugins/assign-categories/assign_categories.php on line 53

Warning: Declaration of Walker_Category_Div::start_el(&$output, $category, $depth, $args) should be compatible with Walker::start_el(&$output, $object, $depth = 0, $args = Array, $current_object_id = 0) in /homepages/18/d436782016/htdocs/yaxleyhistory/wp-content/plugins/assign-categories/assign_categories.php on line 53

Warning: Declaration of Walker_Category_Div::end_el(&$output, $category, $depth, $args) should be compatible with Walker::end_el(&$output, $object, $depth = 0, $args = Array) in /homepages/18/d436782016/htdocs/yaxleyhistory/wp-content/plugins/assign-categories/assign_categories.php on line 53
Places & Objects | Yaxley History

The Domesday Book

The Domesday Book was completed in 1086 and amounts to a survey of much of England and parts of Wales. The manuscript record was ordered by King William the Conqueror. The attached image shows the entries for Yaxley, Stanground, Woodston, Haddon, Water Netwon, Sibson,...

Manorial Records

The Manorial Records are a collection of documents, records and maps belonging to the Parish of Yaxley. They were purchased by the Yaxley Parish Council and are stored in a fireproof chest in the Council Chambers at the Amenity Centre. Included in the collection are...

Chairman’s Chains of Office

The modern chains of office worn by the Chairman of the Yaxley Parish Council feature a variation upon the village sign designed  by Mr. T. Ward in 1977. The design, divided into three by a “Y” representing Yaxley, incorporates two hands clasping a heart – symbolising...

Blenheim Cottage

Blenheim Cottage, marked on the 1889 map of Yaxley, was accessible via a rough track from Back Lane. The small photo shows the property behind the Public Hall. Willam and Rebecca Strickson lived here from approximately 1851-1929. The couple were the great grandparents...

Customs House

This house at Water End on Main Street is believed to have been a Customs House. The original Pig Water course flowed from the Lode around the building and then ran parallel with Main Street. The house was accessible via a...

Cow Bridge

Cow Bridge is at the junction of Windsor Road (Cow Lane) and Main Street (Town Street) at the entrance to Great Drove.  The bridge spanned the original deep Pig Water channel  that ran parallel to Main Street from the Grange and passed out of Yaxley towards Farcet....

Pillar box

The grade II listed cast iron Edward VII postbox is situated on the village green and would have been installed in the first decade of the 20th century. The Edward VII boxes were the first to have the posting aperture as part of the door, rather than the body of the...

Yaxley Village Pump

The mid to late 19th century village pump and eight surrounding posts can be found on the green. The cast iron pump’s column is enriched with scalloped decoration, a fluted domed cap and moulded scallopped base; lever and spout. The eight posts are similar in...

St Peters Church

The church of St. Peter consists of a chancel (40 ft. by 16 ft.), north chapel (40 ft. by 15 ft.), south chapel (39½ ft. by 15½ ft.), nave (62 ft. by 19 ft.), north transept (23½ ft. by 16 ft.), south transept (23½ ft. by 16 ft.), north aisle (59½ ft. by 17 ft.),...

The Cedars

The Cedars was a large property at 52 Chapel Street, built in 1914 and once the home of the Cook Family. The property was demolished in 2010 after falling into a state of disrepair and the Spinney House development was built in its place by Larkfleet...

Territorial Army Hut

Although not a pub, this licenced premises stood next to the Jireh Chapel in Chapel St., a meeting place for many years of members of the 5th bn. the Northamptonshire Regt. T.A. Former stewards of the club being Sam Gilbey, Wilf Garratt and Ray Glithero. The beer...
Page 1 of 212