Warning: Declaration of Walker_Category_Div::start_lvl(&$output, $depth, $args) should be compatible with Walker::start_lvl(&$output, $depth = 0, $args = Array) in /homepages/18/d436782016/htdocs/yaxleyhistory/wp-content/plugins/assign-categories/assign_categories.php on line 53

Warning: Declaration of Walker_Category_Div::end_lvl(&$output, $depth, $args) should be compatible with Walker::end_lvl(&$output, $depth = 0, $args = Array) in /homepages/18/d436782016/htdocs/yaxleyhistory/wp-content/plugins/assign-categories/assign_categories.php on line 53

Warning: Declaration of Walker_Category_Div::start_el(&$output, $category, $depth, $args) should be compatible with Walker::start_el(&$output, $object, $depth = 0, $args = Array, $current_object_id = 0) in /homepages/18/d436782016/htdocs/yaxleyhistory/wp-content/plugins/assign-categories/assign_categories.php on line 53

Warning: Declaration of Walker_Category_Div::end_el(&$output, $category, $depth, $args) should be compatible with Walker::end_el(&$output, $object, $depth = 0, $args = Array) in /homepages/18/d436782016/htdocs/yaxleyhistory/wp-content/plugins/assign-categories/assign_categories.php on line 53
Buildings & Structures | Yaxley History

Blenheim Cottage

Blenheim Cottage, marked on the 1889 map of Yaxley, was accessible via a rough track from Back Lane. The small photo shows the property behind the Public Hall. Willam and Rebecca Strickson lived here from approximately 1851-1929. The couple were the great grandparents...

Customs House

This house at Water End on Main Street is believed to have been a Customs House. The original Pig Water course flowed from the Lode around the building and then ran parallel with Main Street. The house was accessible via a...

Cow Bridge

Cow Bridge is at the junction of Windsor Road (Cow Lane) and Main Street (Town Street) at the entrance to Great Drove.  The bridge spanned the original deep Pig Water channel  that ran parallel to Main Street from the Grange and passed out of Yaxley towards Farcet....

St Peters Church

The church of St. Peter consists of a chancel (40 ft. by 16 ft.), north chapel (40 ft. by 15 ft.), south chapel (39½ ft. by 15½ ft.), nave (62 ft. by 19 ft.), north transept (23½ ft. by 16 ft.), south transept (23½ ft. by 16 ft.), north aisle (59½ ft. by 17 ft.),...

The Cedars

The Cedars was a large property at 52 Chapel Street, built in 1914 and once the home of the Cook Family. The property was demolished in 2010 after falling into a state of disrepair and the Spinney House development was built in its place by Larkfleet...

Territorial Army Hut

Although not a pub, this licenced premises stood next to the Jireh Chapel in Chapel St., a meeting place for many years of members of the 5th bn. the Northamptonshire Regt. T.A. Former stewards of the club being Sam Gilbey, Wilf Garratt and Ray Glithero. The beer...

The Lawn

A Georgian property that has been a residential home as well as a premises for Brown & Butlin Agricultural Spraycare and Prevost’s Agricultural Machinery. The development behind The Lawn is called Needham Court, named after the late William Needham, a Parish...

Manor Farm House

The early 17th Century Manor House in Church Street. Buildings and cottages west of the Manor House were demolished in the late 1960s. There are slight remains of a moat in front of the house, and the large field at the back is surrounded by a considerable bank and...

The Laurels

Rumour has it that The Laurels, built in the 1700s, was originally the home of the local Tax Inspector who, after doing his rounds, alighted from his horse, came up the two stepping stones into the house and stored the monies safely in the cellar. The mounting steps...

Wesleyan Chapel

The Wesleyan Chapel was built in Chapel Street in 1844. Supplemental information: Minutes of meetings {These are held at The Methodist Chapel,Main Street, Yaxley) date from 1900. Although their are no mention of meetings during the 1st World War there are interesting...

The Vicarage

The Vicarage, built in 1875, was sold in 1995 and is now a private dwelling. The following information relates to the older Vicarage and dates from 1709. The terrier (see below for definition) of Vicarage land in 1709 was approximately 16 acres. A close 5 acres...
Page 1 of 212